Smoking in Prague25.02.10 11:39
Smoking is still a quite popular habit in our country. If you are a smoker you will be happy to hear that the Czech Republic is more tolerant in this topic than many other countries in Europe. Though since 1989 there has been a gradual shift in favor of the non-smokers (a greater awareness of the need of clean air environment can be noticed and also non-smoking areas in restaurants are becoming more common) smokers still have advantages.
Good to know if You travel to Prague:
- Tobacco based products cannot be sold to youngsters under 18 let years of age.
- Currently, there is a law in force that bans smoking in all public places such as administrative buildings, hospitals, on public transport (including trains, railways stations), at public transport stops ! (covered platforms of tram, bus, underground stations), at cinemas, theaters, sports halls and at schools.
- Most 3 to 5 star hotels in Prague have non-smoking floors or at least a few non-smoking rooms.
- Owners of food serving pubs and restaurants in Prague can decide whether their establishments are smoking or non-smoking.
All they need to do is put a notice on the door saying where they stand, so not every restaurant has to have a non-smoking area. If You would like to have a meal in a smoke free place it is good to check the door or ask the waiter before You take a seat.
According to the previous law, it was not allowed to smoke in restaurants unless it was clearly stated and the smoking area has been separated, but this is not valid anymore.
The debate regarding smoking in cafés, restaurants and pubs is contentiously on. A large number of such establishments are very smoky.
On one hand many Czechs see smoking as something they have done for long years and they feel that there shouldn’t be any restrictions at all. On the other hand according to a poll conducted by students of the Medical Faculty of Prague's Charles University over a half of Czechs wish an absolute ban on smoking in restaurants.
Do you travel with kids or are you just looking for some non-smoking restaurants in Prague? Check the site of an independent guide, the Maurer´s Selection - Grand Restaurant, where You can find a list of recommended non-smoking restaurants (use the detailed search in order to find the non-smoking restaurants).
|non smoking restaurant
|non smoking room||nekuřácký pokoj|
|smoking restaurant||kuřácká restaurace|
|smoking room||kuřácký pokoj|
You could be interested also in
Welcome at Mary's news Prague Blog. You can find here many actual and useful information about news in Prague, Prague sights, festivals, concerts, events and many other Czech news. Do not hesitate and comment the blog posts, recommend it to your friends through Facebook, or even send us tips of interesting topics you would like to read about in this blog about Prague. We offer awesome Old town Prague apartments or modern luxury apartments in New town.
Other Prague blogs
- The Prague Post - The Czech Republic's English newspaper
- Prague City Beat - News, Views and Links From the Czech Capital
- Prague Travel Advices and Tips - News, travel tips and advices for staying in Prague