Prague's Famous People11.03.10 14:09
Prague is a historical, cultural and political center of Czech Republic for more than 1100 years. This city gives place for many universities, museums, galleries or theaters. The result of it’s rich cultural life is that, many of scientist or artist have completed their mission in this charming city.
Some of the most famous artists with Czech origin:
- Bedrich Smetana - famous composer, father of Czech music. Known all over the world for his opera The Bartedred Bride. Died in Prague 12th of May 1884 with a belief that in the music is the life of the Czech nation.
- Antonin Dvorak - Czech composer of Romantic music, his statue can be find in front of the Rudolfinum.
- Jozef Vaclav Myslbek - Czech sculptor. His most famous work we can find on the top of the Wenceslas square, the statue of Saint Wenceslas. This statue is the result of the 20 years hard working.
- Alfonz Mucha - Czech Art Nouveau painter. His biggest challenge was to complete the series of twenty huge paintings about the Czech and the Slovak peoples (The Slav Epic). The tourists in Prague can visit a Mucha Museum or admire the Mucha Window in St. Vitus Cathedral.
- Karel Capek - Czech writer of the 20th century. Due to his science-fiction play R. U. R. ( Rossum’s Universal Robots ) was introduced and than frequently used the word ROBOT.
- Jaroslav Hasek - Czech humorist and satirist. His novel The Good Soldier Svejk is well-known all over the world. This unfinished collection of short stories, about the soldier in World War I., has been translated into 60 languages.
- Franz Kafka - one of the most important writers of the literature in 20th century. He was born as the eldest child of a middle-class Jewish family in Prague. The former house of Kafka stands near the Old Square.
- Bohumil Hrabal - famous and well known Czech writer. He was signified also by some tragic events. He died in Prague, while trying to feed pigeons. He fell from the fifth floor of the hospital Bulovka.
- Milos Forman - director, screenwriter and actor with Czech origin. His 2 movies, One flew over the Cuckoo’s nest and the Amadeus, are well-known all over the world. For these movies he was awarded with the Academy award.
- Jiri Menzel - Czech film ad theater director. His name has become a world-know with the movie Closely Watched trains. The movie is an adaption one of the Bohumil Hrabal’s book.
- Jan Jesenius - rector of the Charles University in Prague. In 1600 he performed the first public autopsy in Prague.
- Christian Doppler - scientist, who is famous for his theory so called, Doppler effect, was working at the Prague Polytechnic (Czech Technical University).
You could be interested also in
Welcome at Mary's news Prague Blog. You can find here many actual and useful information about news in Prague, Prague sights, festivals, concerts, events and many other Czech news. Do not hesitate and comment the blog posts, recommend it to your friends through Facebook, or even send us tips of interesting topics you would like to read about in this blog about Prague. We offer awesome Old town Prague apartments or modern luxury apartments in New town.
Other Prague blogs
- The Prague Post - The Czech Republic's English newspaper
- Prague City Beat - News, Views and Links From the Czech Capital
- Prague Travel Advices and Tips - News, travel tips and advices for staying in Prague